Second Day At Camp

 My day began at 5:30 in the morning. The first thing we did was have breakfast. After breakfast, we went to Block House Creek, a private location. Our purpose was to build some beaver dams. This fisheries project costs approximately 200 thousand dollars, and we are working with Janet Burkhard, who is a watershed planner, and Gerard Foley, who works for Mount Adams Resource Stewards.

We arrived there at 9:12. Upon arrival, each person introduced themselves, including my colleagues and the people who would be helping us. Then, they explained what we were going to do throughout the day and showed us where we were going to start.

The first thing we did was gather small sticks to start building the beaver dam. Then, we started placing the larger logs, which we had to fetch from a bit further away from where we were building. Generally, we transported them in groups of two or more people. Once the large logs were in place, Gerard and I started to set some posts. We used a machine to insert the posts into the riverbed; we placed four posts near each corner to support the beaver dam we were constructing.

After finishing the first beaver dam, we took a break for breakfast. I had some sandwiches and an apple, and drank water. After eating, I had to put on another waterproof suit because the one I had was leaking, and I ended up with wet feet.

Once ready, we proceeded to build another beaver dam, following the same process: first, we placed small branches, then the large logs, and finally, we covered the small holes with tall grass, stones, and dirt to block the water entries. After finishing the second beaver dam, we started on a third. In this case, the most difficult part was carrying some huge logs, which we transported with several people.

After finishing the third beaver dam, we went to bathe. Then, at the camp, I helped Virginia and a teacher prepare the food. After dinner, we cleaned up and went to sleep. I also noticed some deer near where we were camping. The day was quite tiring, and thus ended my second day at the camp.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

My thirteenth day at camp.

My Seventh Day At Camp

My Ninth Day At Camp